The Alexapure is quickly proving itself to be a reliable and affordable filter for in the home or camp. For those living off the grid, this is a reliable filter for removing any nastiness that can be lurking in water.
Water Filtration: This section of the Pure Filter Canada features four different kinds of water filtration systems as well as accessories and replacement filters accessories from filtration manufacturer Alexapure.
How Alexapure Got Started
The story of Alexapure is one of a young couple expecting their first child and planning for that. It made them think of how to prepare for big events and emergencies and the idea for a reliable, affordable, and highly efficient water filtration system was born.
Matt Redhawk and family have since grown the Alexapure family to include water filter pitchers, bottles, and water carry bags. The innovative Alexapure Breeze is their take on home air filtration. The Survival Spring is their version of a personal water filter like the Lifestraw or Sawyer.
The Alexapure filters water using a block style filter with a hybrid ceramic shell that has a 99.9999% removal of rate for Cysts, Bacteria, Pathogens, Disinfectants, Volatile Organic Compounds, and Heavy Metals. Radioactive particles are also removed.
The Alexapure is very affordable. We sell all models and the replacement filters. There are plenty of pump style filters for camping that cost more than this unit that is completely gravity fed.
2. Ease of Use
Simply pour water in and let gravity feed for pure and delicious water each and every time. No pumping for minutes at a time.
3. Looks Good
The Alexapure is made of quality stainless steel that goes well in any kitchen. It has a high end look that commands the right type of attention.
4. Large Capacity With A Small Footprint
The Alexapure can handle up to 2.25 gallons of water poured in at once. The clean water storage capability is also 2.25 gallons.
5. Proven Results
Rigorous water quality testing has been done on water filtered with the Alexapure and the results are constantly outstanding. The Alexapure will remove hormones, bacteria, protozoa, viruses, and even radioactivity whereas a lot of filters just take care of bacteria and protozoa.
6. Easy Dispensing
The simple spigot allows you to get water out as fast as it is filtered or just grab a glass when needed.
The file is very light. This is something you can move around as needed with no fuss or strain. When I put the whole unit with the ceramic filter on the bathroom scales, it weighed in at 6.5 lbs so even if there is a slight discrepancy due to the type of scale used you are still talking about under 7 lbs of weight.
At this weight, I could see the possibility of this being able to be used in more situations than just at a cabin or stationary location. In some cases, this would be excellent as a base camp filter when moving with a group. It is a bit bulky but if you are sharing the duty of moving a camp with others it is more than manageable.
Putting It Together
The Alexapure Pro is pretty simply to put together and comes well packed for the journey to your doorstep so if you live far out and have concerns about packages getting damaged during a long journey, you can set that concern aside.
- Attach Spigot.
- Put knob on lid.
- The filter cartridge is packed wet in antibacterial alcohols so it is best to open. Unpack the actual ceramic hybrid carbon filter by cutting open top of package carefully over a sink or bucket or you will do like me and dump liquid on the floor.
- Insert rubber plugs into holes and then insert the filter and tighten down the ring and gasket included.
- Fill water reservoir and place on bottom. Filtration will start immediately. You need to let the entire reservoir filter an throw out the water. Although it will not hurt you to drink this, it will contain the alcohols used to sanitize the filter and maybe some carbon.
The Alexapure makes any water taste wonderful. This filter will take care of any bottled water needs you feel you have and save you a ton of money. There is not one hint of off flavors or odors when you use this filter making it a major bargain for the money.
So one of the major things that those filtering water need to understand is the importance of reducing sediment loads before actual filtration. Letting sediment heavy water settle or pre-filtering through cheese cloth or very fine mesh is highly advisable.
You can always clean and dry out cheese cloth for further use. The less there is for your filter to take on, the longer it will provide you with great drinking water.
1. Store Filter Wet When Not Using For Awhile
The Alexapure filter is fine to store and you should if you are not going to use it for awhile. Put it in a plastic bag or Tupperware packed in clean water until you want to use it again. Just make sure freezing is not going to happen either.
2. Filters Can Be Added For Faster Flow
You can add up to three more filters for faster filtering and a longer lasting overall systems. Each filter adds another 5000 gallons of filtration capability. Of course the rate will vary based on how unclean the water you are filtering is to start with and if you clean your filter often enough.
3. Simple Cleaning
Outside surfaces can be wiped down while the ceramic hybrid shell filter can be removed and the outside scrubbed with a scour pad. Just remember to never use soap on your ceramic hybrid shell filter.
The stainless steel and plastic parts of the Alexapure can be cleaned using dish detergent and water. The metal body can even go in a dish washer if you prefer that.
4. Knowing When It Is Time To Change Filters
If you start to notice a distinct change in taste, color, etc then it is time to change out your filter. Also if your filter has been stored dry for a long time instead of the recommended way then you might want to just replace it.
Tips For Making It Last Longer
- Always store filter wet when not in use for long periods of time.
- Pre filter or let water settle
- In a survival or emergency situation you should have a plan for settling out water if necessary. Cheesecloth and a clean container can be used if you need to get water ready to filter quickly but if you have a few large containers that you can fill and just let it settle out then you don’t have to mess with cheesecloth.
- At the same time, some large containers and cheesecloth have a lot of other uses when it comes to a survival situation so it is not a bad idea to have them around anyway.
- One of the biggest complaints about any water filter is clogging and most of the time it is due to people expecting to put extremely filthy water through them or trying to use a filter well past its lifespan.
- Clean filter if used heavily for a week or longer at most
- A scour pad is all you need to help your filter last longer and filter faster. These pads are another supply with a lot of uses during a long emergency and they are very inexpensive to put back.
- Avoid really cold temperatures
- Freezing can ruin a filter permanently. Even in really harsh conditions just wrapping the filter up when stored or throwing a blanket around the stainless housing will do a lot to prevent this from happening.
- Any water filter is going to have issues with freezing so don’t think this is just a problem with this style.
Alexapure Stainless Steel Filtration System
Ease of Use:
Effectiveness of Design:
Capacity and Power
The Alexapure Breeze has a coverage area of 800 square feet. That’s more than enough to cover the living room, dining room, and kitchen of most homes. The Alexapure not only has one of the largest coverage areas in this comparison, it also has the highest CADR: 315 cubic meters per hour. That means it should circulate all the air in an 800 square-foot space 1.7 times every hour (assuming an 8-foot ceiling). In a 150 square-foot space—about the size of a separate dining room in a modern U.S. home—it could filter all the air over 9 times an hour—or every 6.5 minutes!
The Breeze has a True HEPA filter, meaning it removes up to 99.97% of contaminants down to 0.3 microns in size. It also uses a patented IonCluster technology. A normal ionizer produces ozone which can irritate your lungs—especially uncool if you’re already suffering from asthma. The Breeze releases ions which attract water molecules in the air. These clusters attach to microbes in the air and remove their surface membrane…microbes die…lungs are happy.
The Breeze is exceptionally quiet. At it’s highest setting, it’s about as loud (45 dB) as the other machines are at their lowest. The Breeze’s lowest setting whispers at a nearly inaudible 16 decibels!
If you leave it running all the time, the filter will last about 9 months and will cost you about $67 to replace. The pre-filter is washable, so you should only need to replace it if it tears up. That means filter cost averages out to $7.44 per month.
The Alexapure Breeze regularly costs about $200 +/- and covers an 800 square-foot area; which gives it a value of $25 per 100 square feet. That’s the lowest price per square foot in this comparison by a factor of 2! (the Alen T500 came in second at $50 per 100 sf.) Also untouchable is its quietness of operation. It has the best CADR in the group (tied with the Whirlpool), True HEPA filtration, and asthma-friendly IonCluster tech. Lastly, it’s nice to look at. Usually, air purifiers are place behind furniture or somewhere else out of sight; but if it has to be out in the open, it won’t be an embarrassment.
Alexapure water containers, replacement water filters, and Alexapure products cover water source and filtration needs. Alexapure products include:
- Alexapure Pro Water Filter (gravity-powered filtration system)
- Alexapure Home (an under-the-counter system that connects straight to your tap)
- Alexapure Survival Spring (pocket-sized water filter)
- Alexapure Go Bottle
- Alexapure Pitcher